[openstack-dev] [Monasca][vitrage] Vitrage project

Hochmuth, Roland M roland.hochmuth at hpe.com
Thu Nov 19 06:51:15 UTC 2015

Hi Ifat, Thanks for the heads-up. We will start reviewing your blueprints
and providing feedback.

With respect to the support for AODH, I'm assuming that you are referring
too,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244049/2/specs/mitaka/manage-ceilometer-al
arms.rst. For adding support for Monasca, a Vitrage Notifier would be
developed for Monasca.

In the diagram at, https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Vitrage, it shows the
Synchronizer collecting data, such as OpenStack notifications, which
usually implies RabbitMQ. With the Ceilosca effort,
https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/videos/presentation/ceilometer-
monascaceilosca and https://github.com/openstack/monasca-ceilometer, we
are planning on sending OpenStack Notifications from Ceilometer to
Monasca. Monasca will then publish to the Kafka queue. Would you be
interested in consuming events from Kafka by the Synchronizer to reduce
the load on RabbitMQ?

In the use cases you discuss getting health/status information about a
switch and correlating problems to VMs. But, in the diagram only SDN
Controller, Heat, Cinder and Nova are shown. Are you planning on receiving
health/status information from other sources? Monasca is processing
metrics for many components, such as the physical infrastructure used for
running the cloud and for OpenStack resources, and generating alarms. For
example, in your use case, Monasca could be monitoring the physical switch
and creating alarms. Should alarms that Monasca creates be a source for
the Vitrage Synchronizer?

Regards --Roland