[openstack-dev] [Monasca][vitrage] Vitrage project

AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) ifat.afek at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Nov 19 12:00:42 UTC 2015

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your feedback. The questions you raised below are helping us in clarifying and enhancing our design. We will also be happy to see your comments on our blueprints. Your input will be very helpful.

The integration with Monasca should include two parts:

1. Query information. We would be happy to get all the information that you can supply, including alarms on other component types. This would require writing a Monasca plugin to Vitrage Synchronizer.

2. Notify on deduced alarms. We would like to notify Monasca on new alarms that Vitrage generates, e.g. that an instance may have suboptimal performance due to problems in its host.

We did not write Monasca related blueprints yet, We will try to do it in the following days. We also plan to update our wiki page with the more detailed design that we are doing these days. I will notify you once we have it ready.

See more detailed answers below.

Thanks,
Ifat.

Right. We will add a blueprint for that.

> In the diagram at, https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Vitrage, it shows
> the Synchronizer collecting data, such as OpenStack notifications,
> which usually implies RabbitMQ. With the Ceilosca effort,
> https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-
> 2015/videos/presentation/ceilometer-
> monascaceilosca and https://github.com/openstack/monasca-ceilometer, we
> are planning on sending OpenStack Notifications from Ceilometer to
> Monasca. Monasca will then publish to the Kafka queue. Would you be
> interested in consuming events from Kafka by the Synchronizer to reduce
> the load on RabbitMQ?

As a first stage, we indeed plan to collect data using RabbitMQ. Once we integrate with Monasca, we will use kafka to get your events. We would like to support both options.

> In the use cases you discuss getting health/status information about a
> switch and correlating problems to VMs. But, in the diagram only SDN
> Controller, Heat, Cinder and Nova are shown. Are you planning on
> receiving health/status information from other sources? Monasca is
> processing metrics for many components, such as the physical
> infrastructure used for running the cloud and for OpenStack resources,
> and generating alarms. For example, in your use case, Monasca could be
> monitoring the physical switch and creating alarms. Should alarms that
> Monasca creates be a source for the Vitrage Synchronizer?

Our diagram shows that we plan to collect data also from other sources like Ceilometer, Nagios and Zabbix. We would also like to get network information from Neutron. We will probably add these source plug-ins in stages. Right now they are all referred to in the synchronizer blueprint, but this design is still in progress. In general, the more input Vitrage gets, the more valuable alarm insights it can produce.

Obviously, Vitrage can benefit a lot from the integration with Monasca.