[openstack-dev] Cinder Third-Party CI: what next? (was Re: [cinder] Request exemption for removal of NetApp FC drivers (no voting CI))

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Mar 25 02:52:53 UTC 2015

On 03/24/2015 06:05 PM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from Mark McClain's message of 2015-03-24 10:25:31 -0400:
>>>
>>> Echoing both Thierry and John.  I support Mike’s decision to enforce the
>> requirement. Maintaining drivers in the tree comes with responsibilities to
>> the community and 3rd party CI is one of the them.  Mike enforcing this
>> requirement was the right action even if a hard one to take.
>>>
>>> mark
>>
>> Indeed. The deadlines were communicated clearly, and frequently.
>> Making phone calls to reach out to contributors for issues like
>> this is exceptional.
>>
>> +1000. Enabling contributors is great, but CI systems are an important
> part of that enablement. I appreciate what Mike has done to drive Cinder
> towards a quality level for all contributors here. It's a hard stance to
> take, but saying "No" can sometimes be the right decision.

I'm just going to pile on.

People keep asking us to focus on quality over landing features. It was
the #1 request from EVERY operator at the recent Ops summit. This is one
of that facets of doing that. It's hard, and it doesn't always feel good
to all the parties involved - but it's important.

Thank you, Mike, for sticking to your deadline. OpenStack will be better
for it.

"If it's not tested, it's broken"