[openstack-dev] [all][log] Log Working Group priorities

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Mon Mar 9 10:56:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

I would really like to help make these logging improvements a reality.

On 5 March 2015 at 12:13, Kuvaja, Erno <kuvaja at hp.com> wrote:
> We had our first logging workgroup meeting [1] yesterday where we agreed 3
> main priorities for the group to focus on.

This time really doesn't work for me I am afraid, clashes with a
regular commitment I have. But happy to communicate in an async way.

> 1)      Educating the community About the Logging Guidelines spec
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/log-guidelines.html

+1 to these, a great starting point.

> 2)      Cross project specs for Request IDs and Error codes
> a.       There is a spec proposals in Cinder tree [2] for Request IDs and in
> Glance tree [3] for Error codes
> b.      The cross project specs are being written on the basis of these
> specs adjusted with the feedback and ideas collected from wider audience at
> and since Paris Summit
> c.       Links for the specs will be provided as soon as they are available
> for review

I really want to work on making sure all the calls Nova makes to other
openstack APIs can be traced in the logs of both services.

I am certainly happy to look at doing the work for this on the Nova
side (during Liberty), and if no one else is keen, possibly the
Glance/Neutron/Cinder side (possibly just wsgi middlewear, to start
with).

My assumption is we ensure the nova request id is logged in
glance/neutron/cinder and the glance/neutron/cinder request id appears
in the nova logs. The key point being a single Nova request id makes
multiple calls to Glance and Neutron. Focusing on these should be the
simple case, as I think we can assume isolated APIs for the initial
implementation, thus side stepping the trust issue, and leaving that
as a parallel activity for the moment.

In addition to logs, I think we should also look at adding this
cross-service information into notifications, where that makes sense.
I will look at trying to put a cross project spec together for this
effort.

> 3)      Project Liaisons for Log Working Group [4]
> a.       Person helping us out to implement the work items in the project
> b.      No need to be core
> c.       Please, no fighting for the slots. We happily take all available
> hands onboard on this.

I am happy to help from a Nova point of view, but I certainly don't
want to step on others toes here.

Thanks,
John