[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 26 June 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jun 26 05:22:55 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

First of all, our M release has been named! Sadly, it hasn't cleared
legal yet, so we can't publicly announce it, however, here are the poll
results:
http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_4983776e190c8dbc It
was a close-run contest!

This week, I've been continuing to dust off some old bugs, and have been
chatting to a few of our docs liaisons to work out how we can best get
them engaged with what we're working on. I've also been spending a lot
of time on standards questions, and thinking about the future of the
DocImpact flag.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Conversion is now ready to start, sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** Cloud Admin Guide: is chugging along. Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also underway. Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: In planning. Stand by for more info.

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Work has started on the Ironic docs, we're now trying to resolve some
issues with service name standards ("Bare Metal" or "Bare metal"?).
Contact me if you want to know more, or are willing to help out.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** No progress this week

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Thanks to Yusuke-san for closing bug 1330005!

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1463111
** Blueprint+Spec: TBD

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== Docs Tools ==

Andreas and Nick just released openstack-docs-tools 0.29.1, after we
discovered an RST translation bug in 0.29. Thanks for the quick
turnaround on that!

== Documentation Standards ==

There's been quite a lot of conversation this week over capitalisation
of service names, with the community divided down the middle as to which
we prefer! While we all enjoy a good style discussion, I've also asked
Anne (in her role on the TC) to confirm the legal restrictions for us.
Watch this space! In the meantime, continue to discuss this on the
mailing list :)

== Docs Liaisons ==

Don't forget that we have subject matter experts to help you with
documentation questions that you might have. One of the best ways to get
our liaisons' attention is to add them to a bug or a patch. Feel free to
look up the liaison for the project you're working with, and add them to
the cc list for your patch:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Documentation

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was held this week, see the minutes here to catch up:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-06-24

Next meetings are:
US: Wednesday 1 July, 14:00:00 UTC (note that this has NOT changed with
daylight savings time)
APAC: Wednesday 8 July, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Of the three bugs we spotlighted last week, one of them was closed
(thanks Yusuke-san!), and the other two are still up for grabs. Olga is
working on a Spotlight bug from last week, too. Let's keep the momentum,
with another three sad old bugs that could use some love:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1212349 vmware
documentation

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1212687 xenapi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1239308 Add
notifications for groups and roles

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana