[openstack-dev] [neutron] new project: networking-macvtap

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Jun 25 16:55:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM, Andreas Scheuring <
scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I want to proclaim a new networking project that we plan to start:
> It's called 'networking-macvtap'.

Cool!

> This project will contain a neutron ml2 driver and an corresponding
> neutron l2 agent. It's aim is to allow instance network attachments via
> macvtap in bridge mode independent of the physical network adapter used.
>
> I posted a detailed spec on github. See [1]
>
> @Kyle: I wonder if I can start this project directly under the big tent
> (in the openstack namespace)? The initial idea was stackforge (request
> [2]),
> but Andreas Jaeger from the infra team convinced me not to
> do this, as moving projects from stackforge to openstack is a huge
> effort. Either put it directly into the openstack namespace or start it on
> github.
> What's your recommendation?

Yes, this is fine to start directly in Neutron under the Neutron stadium. I
would recommend proposing a governance patch to add the repo, and make that
dependent on your project-config patch to create the repository. Add me as
a reviewer on both and they should be created in no time.

Thanks!
Kyle