[openstack-dev] [qa] Tempest bug triage questions

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Jun 22 16:00:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:41:56AM -0400, David Kranz wrote:
> On 06/22/2015 10:15 AM, Yaroslav Lobankov wrote:
> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I have some questions about the bug triage procedure for Tempest:
> >
> >1. Some bugs in Tempest have status "Fix committed". Should we move
> >statuses of these bugs to "Fix released"?
> Yes, tempest doesn't have the kind of releases where Fix committed makes
> sense.

Well, except for tempest-lib bugs. The tempest bug tracker is used for both
tempest and tempest-lib. So if there are bugs marked as fix committed against
tempest-lib we need to wait until they are included in a release before we mark
it as fix released.

But, in general tempest bugs should go straight from in-progress to fix-released
on commit. There was a brief period where we didn't do that and you might be
catching leftovers from that time.

> >2. Many bugs have statuses "In progress", but patches for these bugs have
> >-1 from someone (or their workflow is -1)
> >    and it looks like these patches are abandoned, while statuses of such
> >patches are "Review in progress".
> >    What should we do with such bugs?
> This is kind of tricky without the project having a "manager". I think we
> usually ping with a comment in the bug to see what the holdup is. If there
> is no response, we would set it back to Triaged of Confirmed.

Well if the patch is abandoned, I thought it does this automagically. But, if
the patch is abandoned and it's still in progress I'd move it back to a different
state to reflect the bug's real current state. -1 reviews are a different matter
though, that's ongoing work. (although maybe slowly)

> >3. What should we do with bugs like this [1]? It says that
> >TimeoutException occurred, but the log of the test is unavailable
> >    by the link already. I don't know how to reproduce the issue, besides
> >the log of the test is unavailable. What should I do with this bug?
> This bug is about how tempest should handle cases where a resource deletion
> fails. I think it is a legitimate issue though the answer is not clear given
> a gate that may be very slow at times.

I think the question was more about if the bug doesn't have a lot of details and
the gate links are dead, because of the log server expiration window. In this
case I normally mark the bug as incomplete and ask the submitter for more
details. Just a stack trace and/or a link to a gate failure often isn't enough
for a bug report long term. For short term fixes it's often just done as a quick
way to move forward so we track it for an e-r query and fix it. But, if it ends
up sitting for a while untriaged without an e-r query then it's not a good bug
report and it needs more details.

-Matt Treinish