[openstack-dev] Debian already using Python 3.5: please gate on that

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Jun 20 04:22:51 UTC 2015

On 19 June 2015 at 02:18, Ian Cordasco <ian.cordasco at rackspace.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/15, 08:44, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Does this mean that Debian is going to ignore classifiers for all projects
> that list 3.4 without listing 3.5 and will start reporting bugs against
> them before upstream projects have time to start testing against 3.5? Why
> is Debian running tests against versions of python that upstream doesn't
> claim to support?

I think this is taking a rather extreme interpretation of Thomas'
email. Here's what I read:

 - Debian 9.0 is hoping to be 3.5 not 3.4
 - The experimental staging area in Debian has 3.5 already and is
starting to find out what packages are going to have issues
 - Some of OpenStack does.
 - Please introduce 3.5 as a supported Python as soon as we can.

Which is I think a reasonable request.

Whether we want to support 3.4 and 3.5, or just 3.4 and then just 3.5
is an ecosystem question IMO, not an upstream one. 3.4 and 3.5 are
very similar when you consider the feature set crossover with 2.7.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist