[openstack-dev] Debian already using Python 3.5: please gate on that

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jun 18 14:18:11 UTC 2015

On 6/18/15, 08:44, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>tl;dr: skip this message, the subject line is enough! :)
>
>As per the subject line, we already have Python 3.5 in Debian (AFAICT,
>from Debian Experimental, in version beta 2). As a consequence, we're
>already running (unit) tests using Python 3.5. Some have failures: I
>could see issues in ceilometerclient, keystoneclient, glanceclient and
>more (yes, I am planning to report these issues, and we already started
>doing so). As Python 3.4 is still the default interpreter for
>/usr/bin/python3, that's currently fine, but it soon wont be.
>
>All this to say: if you are currently gating on Python 3, please start
>slowly adding support for 3.5, as we're planning to switch to that for
>Debian 9 (aka Stretch). I believe Ubuntu will follow (as the Python core
>packages are imported from Debian).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Does this mean that Debian is going to ignore classifiers for all projects
that list 3.4 without listing 3.5 and will start reporting bugs against
them before upstream projects have time to start testing against 3.5? Why
is Debian running tests against versions of python that upstream doesn't
claim to support?