[openstack-dev] [devstack] apache wsgi application support

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jun 16 16:25:24 UTC 2015

I was just looking at the patches that put Nova under apache wsgi for
the API, and there are a few things that I think are going in the wrong
direction. Largely I think because they were copied from the
lib/keystone code, which we've learned is kind of the wrong direction.

The first is the fact that a big reason for putting {SERVICES} under
apache wsgi is we aren't running on a ton of weird unregistered ports.
We're running on 80 and 443 (when appropriate). In order to do this we
really need to namespace the API urls. Which means that service catalog
needs to be updated appropriately.

I'd expect nova to be running on http://localhost/compute not
http://localhost:8774 when running under wsgi. That's going to probably
interestingly break a lot of weird assumptions by different projects,
but that's part of the reason for doing this exercise. Things should be
using the service catalog, and when they aren't, we need to figure it out.

(Exceptions can be made for third party APIs that don't work this way,
like the metadata server).

I also think this -
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/nova#L266-L268
is completely wrong.

The Apache configs should instead specify access rules such that the
installed console entry point of nova-api can be used in place as the
WSGIScript.

This should also make lines like -
https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/nova#L272 and
L274 uneeded. (The WSGI Script will be in a known place). It will also
make upgrades much more friendly.

I think that we need to get these things sorted before any further
progression here. Volunteers welcomed to help get us there.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net