[openstack-dev] [nova] Should we add instance action event to live migration?

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Fri Jun 12 01:54:11 UTC 2015

On 11 June 2015 at 12:37, Richard Raseley <richard at raseley.com> wrote:

> Andrew Laski wrote:
>
>> There are many reasons a deployer may want to live-migrate instances
>> around: capacity planning, security patching, noisy neighbors, host
>> maintenance, etc... and I just don't think the user needs to know or
>> care that it has taken place.
>>

> They might care, insofar as live migrations will often cause performance
> degradation from a users perspective.

Seconded.  If your app manager is warned that you're going to be live
migrating it can do something about the capacity drop.  I can imagine cases
where a migrating VM would be brutally murdered [1] and replaced because
it's not delivering sufficient performance.
--
Ian.

[1] See "nova help brutally-murder"