[openstack-dev] [all] grenade with external plugins for the big tent - how to use

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 14:08:15 UTC 2015

On 11/06/15 09:38, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:11 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     Yesterday we landed the infrastructure for Grenade external plugins -
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/185050/
>
>     The first user of this is the Heat project, with a patch that's nearly
>     ready to land (still sorting out an issue because heat's cli commands
>     aren't console entry points) - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188148/.
>     Much appreciation to the Heat team for patience in getting here, and for
>     helping sort out all the infrastructure.
>
>     For additional projects to work the basic pattern is as follows:
>
>     * create a custom grenade job for your project
>     * write a grenade plugin following the instructions here -
>     https://github.com/openstack-dev/grenade/blob/master/PLUGINS.rst - put
>     it in your project tree.
>     * export the following in your project-config definition
>
>     export GRENADE_PLUGINRC "enable_grenade_plugin <PROJECTNAME>
>     git://git.openstack.org/openstack/
>     <http://git.openstack.org/openstack/><PROJECTNAME>"
>
>     And... you should be good to go. Additional questions on moving forward,
>     or clarifications in the documentation, can be handled on this thread or
>     in the #openstack-qa channel.
>

> This is really pretty awesome! Very excited that this will allow
> projects to host their own grenade plugins in their own repositories.
> Similar to the devstack plugins, I think this is a huge win! Great work!

+1, I know this big tent transition is creating a lot of work for the
cross-project teams in the short term, but I think this will pay huge
dividends in the future in increasing the capacity of our community to
innovate across the board. Many thanks to Sean and everyone else
involved in making this a reality :)

cheers,
Zane.