[openstack-dev] [nova][trove][neutron][octavia] Protected openstack resources

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Fri Jun 5 08:23:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I still think we need to look at lot more carefully at why using an
isolated "service" tenant would not work.

Sure, thats a bit rich coming from someone trying to limit the scope
of Nova, but really I am just trying to work out what the problem is
you are tying to solve, and specifically what problems you have using
a separate tenant to the user.

On 4 June 2015 at 20:44, Eichberger, German <german.eichberger at hp.com> wrote:
> Amrith,
>
> Thanks for spearheading that work. In the Octavia project we are
> interested in the shadow tenant to solve some of the scalability issues we
> have encountered with one service tenant:
>
> * There is probably a limit how many Vms a tenant can have

-1

There is a quota that will need updating for that tenant, but thats
fine. Also, the list instance API call will be pages, and you have to
deal with that. But I don't think there is a hard limit on that. If we
find one, lets try fix it.

> * We have been running out of ipsec rules in our tenant

Do you mean run out of the default quota, or hit a hard technical limit?

> * There is a limit how many ports a tenant can have (somebody mentioned
> 200 to me)

I would hope thats also an adjustable quota?
Or does this relate to a specific technology choice you have made?

> A lot of that we still have to validate but I think for various reason
> sharding over multiple tenants and networks is interesting to us.

Thats a nice twist, if we do hit a hard limit somewhere.

Thanks,
John