[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 3 23:50:59 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 08:15 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 04:22 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> We could try to work as a single entity (RPM + deb teams), but rpm+yum
>> and dpkg+apt are 2 distinct worlds which have very few common
>> attributes. So even if it may socially be nice, it's not the right
>> technical decision.
>
> You could still have one shared repository with the understanding of who
> approves what. Working on one repo makes it easier to see what the other
> "team" does.
>
> If you want to unify packaging - there are always arbitrary choices you
> can make - it's better to have a common team.

I don't want to unify Red Hat and Debian (and its derivative) world, no.
This isn't what this proposal is about. If you want to work on this
yourself, I welcome you to do so, but so far, no party involved wants to
work on this at the level you're discussing.

>> All of the other Git repositories, with anyone OpenStack upstream, will
>> move to upstream Gerrit. So, all of python-*client, python-oslo.*,
>> python-xstatic-*, python-migrate, etc. I haven't yet counted how many
>> repositories that represent, but that's a lot. Maybe between 150 to 200,
>> and of course, growing as we constantly add new packages.
>
> Do you really need separate repositories for each package?

Yes.

> Why not have one repository with several directories in it?

Because that's not how git-buildpackage / sbuild works.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)