[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 3 15:23:17 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 12:41 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This came up at the TC meeting today, and I volunteered to provide an
> update from the discussion.

I've just read the IRC logs. And there's one thing I would like to make
super clear.

We, ie: Debian & Ubuntu folks, are very much clear on what we want to
achieve. The project has been maturing in our heads for like more than 2
years. We would like that ultimately, only a single set of packages Git
repositories exist. We already worked on *some* convergence during the
last years, but now we want a *full* alignment.

We're not 100% sure how the implementation details will look like for
the core packages (like about using the Debconf interface for
configuring packages), but it will eventually happen. For all the rest
(ie: Python module packaging), which represent the biggest work, we're
already converging and this has zero controversy.

Now, the Fedora/RDO/Suse people jumped on the idea to push packaging on
the upstream infra. Great. That's socially tempting. But technically, I
don't really see the point, apart from some of the infra tooling (super
cool if what Paul Belanger does works for both Deb+RPM). Finally,
indeed, this is not totally baked. But let's please not delay the
Debian+Ubuntu upstream Gerrit collaboration part because of it. We would
like to get started, and for the moment, nobody is approving the
/stackforge/deb-openstack-pkg-tools [1] new repository because we're
waiting on the TC decision.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/185164/