[openstack-dev] [all][infra][tc][ptl] Scaling up code review process (subdir cores)

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:12:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/03/2015 07:24 AM, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
>
>> Really it's hard to find cores that understand whole project, but
>> it's quite simple to find people that can maintain subsystems of
>> project.
>>

>   We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the
>   responsibility for our future.
>    - George Bernard Shaw
>
> Less authorities, mini-kingdoms and
> turing-complete-rule-based-gerrit-subtree-git-commit-enforcement; more
> empowerment of responsible developers and building trust.
>
> -i

​All of the debate about the technical feasibility, additional repos aside,
the one question I always raise when topics like this come up is "how does
that really solve the problem".  In other words, there's still a finite
number of folks that dedicate the time to be "subject matter experts" and
do the reviews.

Maybe this will help, I don't know.  But I have the same argument as I made
in my spec to remove drivers from Cinder altogether, creating "another
repo" and moving things around just creates more overhead and does little
to address the lack of review resources.

I understand you're not proposing new repos Boris, although it was
mentioned in this thread.

I do think that we could probably try and do something like growing the
Lieutenant model that the Neutron team is hammering out.  Not sure... but
seems like a good start; again assuming there are enough
qualified/interested Lieutenants.  I'm not sure, but that's kind of how I
interpreted your proposal but one additional step of ACL's; is that
accurate?

Thanks,
John​