[openstack-dev] [Glance] [all] Liberty summit: Updates in Glance

Fei Long Wang feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jun 2 23:47:07 UTC 2015

On 02/06/15 01:51, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 06/01/2015 08:30 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAIK, the biggest issue right now is "changed-since" which is
>>> something Glance doesn't have in v2 but it's exposed throught Nova's
>>> image API.

I'm working on something in Glance related to this.
>> Thats the big unanswered question that needs fixing in any spec we
>> would approve around this effort.
>>
>>> I'm happy you brought this up. What are Nova's plans to adopt Glance's
>>> v2 ? I heard there was a discussion and something along the lines of
>>> creating a library that wraps both APIs came up.
>>
>> We don't have anyone who has stepped up to work on it at his point.
>>
>> I think the push you made around this effort in kilo is the latest
>> updated on this:
>> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/approved/remove-glanceclient-wrapper.html
>>

>> It would be great if we could find a glance/nova CPL to drive this
>> effort.
>
> I am happy to take the lead on this from the Nova side. I'm familiar
> with the code in Nova.
>
>>> I really think nova should put some more effort on helping this
>>> happen. The work I did[0] - all red now, I swear it wasn't - during
>>> Kilo didn't get enough attention even before we decided to push it
>>> back. Not a complain, really. However, I'd love to see some
>>> cross-project efforts on making this happen.
>>> [0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/144875/
>>
>> As there is no one to work on the effort, we haven't made it a
>> priority for liberty.
>
> It's not a huge amount of work. I can do it.
Yes, given the L release is just starting. I think we have enough time
to make it happen.

>> If someone is able to step up to help complete the work, I can do my
>> best to help get that effort reviewed, by raising its priority, just
>> as we did in Kilo.
>>
>> I suspect looking at how to slowly move towards v2, rather than going
>> for a "big bang" approach, will make this easier to land. That and
>> solving how we implement "changed-since", if thats not available in
>> the newer glance APIs. Honestly, part of me wonders about skipping v2,
>> and going straight to v3.
>
> We actually already support Glance V2 in some things. It shouldn't be
> too difficult to complete the work to fully support V2.
>
> Please assign me as the CPL for Glance from Nova.
I'm happy  to work with Jay for Nova from Glance :)

> Best,
> -jay

Cheers & Best regards,
Fei Long Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington