[openstack-dev] [Glance] [all] Liberty summit: Updates in Glance

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:51:06 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015 08:30 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
>>> FWIW, moving Nova from glance v1 to glance v2, without breaking Nova's
>>> public API, will require someone getting a big chunk of glance v1 on
>>> top of glance v2.
>>
>> AFAIK, the biggest issue right now is "changed-since" which is
>> something Glance doesn't have in v2 but it's exposed throught Nova's
>> image API.
>
> Thats the big unanswered question that needs fixing in any spec we
> would approve around this effort.
>
>> I'm happy you brought this up. What are Nova's plans to adopt Glance's
>> v2 ? I heard there was a discussion and something along the lines of
>> creating a library that wraps both APIs came up.
>
> We don't have anyone who has stepped up to work on it at his point.
>
> I think the push you made around this effort in kilo is the latest
> updated on this:
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/approved/remove-glanceclient-wrapper.html
>
> It would be great if we could find a glance/nova CPL to drive this effort.

I am happy to take the lead on this from the Nova side. I'm familiar
with the code in Nova.

>> I really think nova should put some more effort on helping this
>> happen. The work I did[0] - all red now, I swear it wasn't - during
>> Kilo didn't get enough attention even before we decided to push it
>> back. Not a complain, really. However, I'd love to see some
>> cross-project efforts on making this happen.
>
> As there is no one to work on the effort, we haven't made it a
> priority for liberty.

It's not a huge amount of work. I can do it.

> If someone is able to step up to help complete the work, I can do my
> best to help get that effort reviewed, by raising its priority, just
> as we did in Kilo.
>
> I suspect looking at how to slowly move towards v2, rather than going
> for a "big bang" approach, will make this easier to land. That and
> solving how we implement "changed-since", if thats not available in
> the newer glance APIs. Honestly, part of me wonders about skipping v2,
> and going straight to v3.

We actually already support Glance V2 in some things. It shouldn't be
too difficult to complete the work to fully support V2.

Please assign me as the CPL for Glance from Nova.

Best,
-jay