[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 1 10:11:40 UTC 2015

On 05/29/2015 11:37 AM, Derek Higgins wrote:
> Whats important I think is
> that we can change things to use sbuild without docker if that is what
> works best for you for debs.

Ok. Though if we are to use delorean, we'll have to switch to that in
upstream Debian as well, and I'm not sure if that's relevant and how it
would be received by the Debian community. Probably we shouldn't play
with fire and avoid doing this. By that, I mean I would like infra to
use whatever tooling everyone uses in Debian, and for the moment, that's
sbuild + git-buildpackage.

> I think the feature in delorean that is most useful is that it will
> continue to maintain a history of usable package repositories
> representing the openstack projects over time, for this we would need a
> long running instance, but that can happen outside of infra.

As much as I understand, the packages could be kept using swift, and
then we can use something like sftpcloudfs or something similar to have
the repository useable by instances. So a long living instance wouldn't
be necessary, even though that's one of the possible implementation.

> Once we have all of the packaging available in infra we can use any tool
> to build it as part of CI, my preference for delorean is because it
> would match how we would want to run a long running delorean server.

What infra folks told me is that they prefer not to maintain long living
instances. For us, there's no such a need anyway (especially if we can
solve the sbuild package caching thing...), unless we get into the
business of maintaining a buildd network, dak and wanabuild, but really,
that'd be too much work and I'm not sure that'd be useful. I'd very much
prefer investing such a time on adding PPA support to dak.

> All of this needs to be preceded by actually importing the packaging
> into review.openstack.org , so lets talk to infra first about how we
> should go about that and we can converge on processes secondary to that?

I've added this first repository:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/185164/

though for the moment, it has received zero reviews. As you can see,
I've used /stackforge/deb-* as prefix. This will be used by both Debian
and Ubuntu (we already both use it in our packaging).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)