[openstack-dev] [Sahara] Questions about event log step_type & cluster status

Vitaly Gridnev vgridnev at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 28 06:29:28 UTC 2015

Hey, Li, Chen.

I implemented event log feature, and general aim event log feature is to
provide some info about cluster provisioning to users. Actually, all fields
of 'step', 'event' are only user-facing info. So, answer to questions are
following:

1) Actually, the general aim of  the 'step_type' field is to split several
event-log steps with same name from plugin and from engine. Also, the
'step_type' is the common prefix of steps names. The cluster status provide
only 'short' info about the current state of the cluster. Maybe it can be
same but we won't remove that.

2) No, we shouldn't, because it's only user facing info, and we don't use
that like we use cluster status in Sahara code and in Horizon.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Li, Chen <chen.li at intel.com> wrote:

>  Hi Sahara,
>

> “step_type” is a member of  ClusterProvisionStep, and also be stored in
> context.
>

> https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/db/sqlalchemy/models.py#L457
>
> https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/context.py#L264
>

> I noticed that the “step_type” in context sometimes is updated at the same
> time as cluster status:
>

> https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/service/ops.py#L255-L256
>

> https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/service/ops.py#L260-L261
>

> From my understanding, for a certain cluster, the relationship among
> cluster status & steps & event should be:
>
> 1.       The cluster is under a certain “status”
>
> 2.       Some “steps” would happen under a certain “status”
>
> 3.       Some “events” would happen under a certain “step”
>

> For example, if we’re working under plugin vanilla 2.6.
>
> 1.       When a cluster is under “Starting” status.
>
> 2.       Two steps involved for the  “Starting” status  :
> configure_instances & configure_topology_data.
>
> 3.       For step  “configure_instances”, several events would happen =>
> events number == instances number.
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1.       Are there some step_type actually mixed with cluster status ?
> Should they be removed ?
>
>                      Or,  I have missed something very important that we
> do need these step_type to be listed with cluster status ?
>

> 2.       Should we define a group of constant to list all possible steps
> could happen for a cluster ?
>
> ð  If a plugin need special steps, it should define special constant by
> itself.
>

> Looking forward to your reply.
>

> Thanks.
>
> -chen