[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Tags, explain like I am five?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:27:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com>
wrote:

> John Griffith wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com
>> <mailto:harlowja at outlook.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     So I've been following the TC work on tags, and have been slightly
>>     confused by the whole work, so I am wondering if I can get a
>>     'explainlikeimfive' (borrowing from reddit terminology) edition of it.
>>
>>     I always thought tags were going to be something like:
>>
>>     http://i.imgur.com/rcAnMkX.png
>>
>>     (I'm not a graphic artist, obviously, haha); but the point there was
>>     that it would allow people to create tags, up or down vote them, and
>>     maybe even add comments and let the democratic process (the
>>     community) decide which tags are useful and which aren't (possibly
>>     prune tags that are garbage or are not useful).
>>
>>     Or something like:
>>
>>     http://i.imgur.com/gy1MGo6.png
>>
>>     That could perhaps use https://wordpress.org/plugins/fl3r-feelbox/
>>     (or something like it, doesn't matter)...
>>
>>     I was thinking the whole tag creation, up-vote, down-vote, smiley,
>>     sad-face, was all going to be community driven, instead of TC
>>     driven, but maybe someone can explain it to me (like I am five).
>>
>>     Thanks!
>>
>>     -Josh

>> ​Hi Josh,
>>
>> So regardless of the detail that was agreed upon when we proposed the
>> tag idea, I personally find your interpretation to make a lot of sense.
>> I think it would be a great direction to go with the tags (and
>> personally I prefer the faces/graphic version).
>>
>> I think the trick will still be figuring out what tags are
>> defined/used.  I don't think we should have just "any tag" added/used,
>> but of course anybody from the community should be able to
>> submit/propose a tag.​
>>

> Ok, so some basic moderation around the 'add your own tag' in
> http://i.imgur.com/rcAnMkX.png that can go through some kind of review
> process (or something else)? Maybe the TC gets to have +2 +A powers on
> people submitting new tags, making sure duplicates are collapsed,
> categories are in english?, other basic checks (but in general staying out
> of the business of tag defining/reviewing/other, let the community figure
> it out).

​Right I probably should've been more detailed in my response :)  But yes,
something like a standard gerrit review process with TC acting as Core for
example.

As far as your request "Tags, explain like I'm 5", I'll give it a shot :)

So the idea was to create Tags to associate with various projects and
libraries within the OpenStack ecosystem.  The idea being to come up with
defined tags that might have some interest to deployers, whether it be to
identify how the project is managed/released.

It's relatively limited right now I think, and part of the reason for that
is we've tried to ensure that the information that we put on tags is
subjective, and at the same time doesn't give any false impression that
something is "good" or "bad".  We just wanted to have tags to easily convey
some general information about a project to help people gain at least a
little insight into a project, how it's managed, what sort of community is
contributing to it etc.

As we move into things like the "compute starter kit" it gets a bit less
subjective, but not really too much.  Maybe the next step is IaaS tag, or
maybe not (that doesn't typically end up being a very popular topic when I
bring it up).  Regardless, that's not really the point here.

I personally have always had the notion in mind that we would have
different types of tags, those that the TC works on, identifies and puts
together, as well as those that would come in from a broader community.  I
think that what you're proposing here would be that "broader" community
category that IMO is probably more valuable than anything else.

I'm admittedly not the strongest tag expert on the TC, so it's quite
possible that I'm going to be corrected in short order here, but from my
perspective and involvement in the activities, that's the simple
explanation that I would provide.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps answer your question at all... I do like
your idea of community proposed and voted tags (A LOT) and hope to see some
more thought/response via this posting.