[openstack-dev] [gate] any project using olso.db test_migrations is currently blocked

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:36:38 UTC 2015

Carl Baldwin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Mike Bayer<mbayer at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>> Instead of just breaking the world, and burning 10s to 100 engineer
>>> hours in redo tests and investigating and addressing the break after the
>>> fact.
>
> We shouldn't let this happen in the first place.  I think this is our fault.
>
> We need to vet new package releases before they wreak havoc.  We need
> to accept new package releases by proposing a patch to update the
> version and take it through the gate.  Weren't we working on this at
> one point?  I understand if it isn't quite possible to do this yet but
> we need to be working toward this and accelerating our efforts rather
> than lashing out at package maintainers.
>
> With the scale that openstack development has grown to, we can't
> afford to let package updates do this to us.  If we have a patch to
> propose accepting new versions, we could provide feedback to package
> maintainers in a much more civilized and pleasant way.
>
>> I was hoping to get a thanks for even *testing* unreleased versions of
>> my entirely non-Openstack, upstream projects against Openstack itself.
>>   If I did *less* effort here, and just didn't bother the way 100% of all
>> other non-Openstack projects do, then I'd not have been scolded by you.
>
> Requiring any package maintainer to be on top of every consumer of his
> package doesn't scale.  We can expect that packages have good tests
> and take care to maintain quality and a stability.  But to put the
> responsibility for "100s of engineering hours" squarely on Mike's
> shoulders because he didn't "raise it up the flagpole" is
> irresponsible.  We need to take our own responsibility for the choice
> to consume the package and blindly accept updates.

+100 treating people that provide underlying components of openstack
that everyone depends upon in this way seems ummmm, sorta evil... Mike
(and many others, in oslo, outside, ...) have built things that many
many others in our community have built on-top of; so in the spirit of
xmas (and well being good humans in general) and all that I'd like to
say thank you mike for your hard work and thank you mike for what u have
helped do that others have built on. We should all be grateful IMHO for
the things we don't have to build ourselves that others have built for
us... (saving us pain, problems, bad APIs... and much much more).