[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Extend FFE for "Disable queue mirroring for RPC queues in RabbitMQ"

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 8 07:55:41 UTC 2015

Hi Dmitry,
as much as I support the change, and glad that we got time for it, my
opinion is that we should not extend a FFE. I have following reasons to
think this way:

1) Feature Freeze is time based milestone, with the rational "FF ensures
that sufficient share of the ReleaseCycle is dedicated to QA, until we
produce the first release candidates. Limiting the changes that affect the
behavior of the software allow for consistent testing and efficient
bugfixing" [1]. Even though this feature will be disabled by default, it is
important to note the first part of this rationale - we need to focus on
stability now, not on features.
2) 7 FFEs for Fuel [2] I'd subjectively consider as high number, as in
total there are ~25 major blueprints to be delivered. Dmitry, our PTL,
unfortunately is absent for a couple of weeks, but his opinion is quite
similar: "The list of exceptions is much longer than I'd like, and some
have larger impact than I'd like, lets all of us make sure we don't come to
regret granting these exceptions." [3]. Taking any exception further means
moving FF, in fact. That means moving of release date, which I don't think
we should even consider doing.
3) Exception to exception, in my opinion, should only be allowed in
extremely rare cases for essential features only. When it becomes clear
that the whole release has a major gap or serious issue, which can only be
resolved by finishing an essential feature. I have no evidence to think
that this functionality, which will be disabled by default, can fall into
this category.
4) Changeset [4] has a change to the packaging spec. Any small change to
packaging after FF imposes additional risk, as there is no good test
automation for such kind of changes. Even if it's just include of a new
file. In case of regression, we may easily lose a day for figuring out what
is wrong and reverting a change.

I'd like to hear component leads while PTL is absent these days....

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/FeatureFreeze
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/081131.html
[3]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/081149.html
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/249180/

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 2:30 PM Adam Heczko <aheczko at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hello Dmitry,
> I like this idea and very much appreciate it.
> +1 from me :)
>
> A.
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Dmitry Mescheryakov <
> dmescheryakov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I'd like to request extension of current FFE for the feature [1]. During
>> the three FFE days we merged the spec [2] after big discussion and made a
>> couple iterations over the implementation [3]. We had a chat with Bogdan on
>> how to progress and here are the action items still need to be done:
>>  * part of the change responsible for RabbitMQ policy need to be
>> upstreamed first to RabbitMQ repo.
>>  * the change needs to be review and merged by our library folks.
>>
>> Overall I think that 2-3 more days should be enough to finish it.
>>
>> What do you think folks?
>>
>> Dmitry
>>
>> [1]
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/rabbitmq-disable-mirroring-for-rpc