[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) ifat.afek at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Dec 3 14:07:17 UTC 2015

Hi Julien,

One of Vitrage's goals is to gather information from different layers -
Physical, virtual and applicative - create a topology tree with the
Relations between the different entities in all layers, and perform
alarm analysis based on this topology.

Currently, we can get alarms on the virtual layer from Ceilometer, and
alarms on the physical layer from Nagios for example. We can then try
to correlate all these alarms, compute RCA, and optionally trigger other
alarms, for example that an application might be running in suboptimal
state due to cpu threshold alarm on the instance.

We didn't suggest that Ceilometer will replace Nagios, rather that
Ceilometer might get Nagios test results as input/events, and trigger
Corresponding alarms. Since right now Nagios and Ceilometer are not
connected, we thought that at the first stage we will query alarms
separately from Ceilometer and from Nagios.

Is it more clear?

Best Regards,
Ifat.