[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Dec 3 14:27:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 03 2015, AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:

> One of Vitrage's goals is to gather information from different layers -
> Physical, virtual and applicative - create a topology tree with the
> Relations between the different entities in all layers, and perform
> alarm analysis based on this topology.
>
> Currently, we can get alarms on the virtual layer from Ceilometer, and
> alarms on the physical layer from Nagios for example. We can then try
> to correlate all these alarms, compute RCA, and optionally trigger other
> alarms, for example that an application might be running in suboptimal
> state due to cpu threshold alarm on the instance.

You can't really say that Nagios is for hardware and Ceilometer is for
virtual. This may be the way you view or deploy things, but this is not
a reality. We have plugins to check hardware (SNMP, IPMI…) in
Ceilometer, and I'm sure you can configure Nagios to check OpenStack
resources.

My point is that here is no hard line between the tools. They both
exists, and it's OK to use both of them – they do different things and
things differently – but how you make them work together isn't clear.

> We didn't suggest that Ceilometer will replace Nagios, rather that
> Ceilometer might get Nagios test results as input/events, and trigger
> Corresponding alarms. Since right now Nagios and Ceilometer are not
> connected, we thought that at the first stage we will query alarms
> separately from Ceilometer and from Nagios.
>
> Is it more clear?

Yes it is, thanks!.

I think that I would be more interested by connecting Nagios to
Ceilometer/Gnocchi/Aodh with maybe the long-term goal of replacing it by
that stack, which should be more scalable and dynamic.

That would make Vitrage only needing to build on top of telemetry
projects. It would also bring Nagios & co to telemetry not only for
Vitrage, but for the whole stack.

Maybe there's some good reasons you're going the way you do, I don't
have the pretension to have though about that as long as you probably
did. :-)

Though I think there's value in what you're trying to do, so it'd be
cool to be able to move your forward. That's why I'm trying to insist
that the current telemetry stuff should be able to solve as many problem
you have as we can!

Do you have something like a MVP based on Telemetry you target? I saw
you were already talking about Horizon, which to me is something that
(sh|c)ould be way further into the pipeline, so I'm worried. ;)

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker