[openstack-dev] [ceilometer][aodh][vitrage] Raising custom alarms in AODH

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Dec 3 08:53:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 03 2015, AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:

> Another question is our need to get alarms from other sources, like
> Nagios, zabbix, ganglia, etc. We thought that Vitrage would query these
> Alarms from each source directly, and then create alarms in AODH in the
> same way as our deduced alarms: for example create nagios_ovs_vswitchd
> alarm if nagios check_ovs_vswitchd test failed.
> An alternative could be to integrate nagios directly with AODH.
> What do you think?

I think I'd like to be able to answer this question, but I kind of lack
the bigger picture of what you need these alarms for, and what you would
like them to do with?

I think we don't have everything right now in Ceilometer/Gnocchi/Aodh to
replace something like Nagios _but_ we have a base framework that should
be more powerful and way more scalable. That could be leveraged to built
something better that Nagios, while staying compatible.

What Nagios does is polling, storing state, and doing action based on
that state. Which is more or less what Ceilometer does (polling),
Gnocchi does (storing things) and Aodh does (triggering action based on
the state). Obviously there's more to that (e.g. dependencies) that are
not handled currently, and that could be added later – maybe in some
parts of the current telemetry projects, or maybe in Vitrage.

So how fitting such tools (Nagios, Zabbix, whatever) in those projects
is an interesting problem. But I'm not clear on the first steps and
how/why you want to leverage alarms first. :)

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker