[openstack-dev] [oslo] Help with stable/juno branches / releases

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Aug 27 23:12:43 UTC 2015

On 27 August 2015 at 10:32, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:

> No problem.  It seemed like such a simple thing :/

Hah. No :/. Its at the very core of the issues we've had with distros
packaging Kilo, and we had with the opening of Liberty, and the rework
of the plumbing here I've been leading for the last cycle - and that
we're nearly done with the first pass. At which point we can look at
new features ;).

> Right now I need 3 releases for oslo packages and then releases for at least 5
> other projects from stable/juno (and that after I get the various reviews
> closed out) and it's quite possible that these releases will in turn generate
> more.
>
> I had to admit I'm questioning if it's worth it.  Not because I think it's too
> hard but it is sunstantial effort to put into juno which is (in theory) going
> to be EOL'd in 6 - 10 weeks.

I'm pretty sure it *will* be EOL'd. OTOH thats 10 weeks of fixes folk
can get. I think you should do it if you've the stomach for it, and if
its going to help someone. I can aid by cutting library releases for
you I think (haven't checked stable releases yet, and I need to update
myself on the tooling changes in the last fortnight...).

> I feel bad for asking that question as I've pulled in favors and people have
> agreed to $things that they're not entirely comfortable with so we can fix
> this.
>
> Is it worth discussing this at next weeks cross-project meeting?

Maybe.

Kilo is going to be an issue for another cycle, and then after that
this should be SO MUCH BETTER.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>