[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Nova] [Cinder] [tc] Should Openstack project maintained by core team keep only API/DB in the future?

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:59:18 UTC 2015

The concern is that having broken drivers out there that claim to work with
an OpenStack project end up making the project look bad. It's similar to a
first time Linux user experiencing frequent kernel panics because they are
using hardware with terrible drivers. They aren't going to recognize the
distinction and will just assume the project is bad.

>I would love to see OpenStack upstream acting more like a resource to
support users and developers

I'm not sure what you mean here. The purpose of 3rd party CI requirements
is to signal stability to users and to provide feedback to the developers.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:18 AM, Luke Gorrie <luke at tail-f.com> wrote:

> On 28 April 2015 at 10:14, Duncan Thomas <duncan.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If we allow third party CI to fail and wait for vendors to fix their
>> stuff, experience has shown that they won't, and there'll be broken or
>> barely functional drivers out there, and no easy way for the community to
>> exert pressure to fix them up.
>>

> Can't the user community exert pressure on the driver developers directly
> by talking to them, or indirectly by not using their drivers? How come
> OpenStack upstream wants to tell the developers what is needed before the
> users get a chance to take a look?
>
> I would love to see OpenStack upstream acting more like a resource to
> support users and developers (e.g. providing 3rd party CI hooks upon
> requst) and less like gatekeepers with big sticks to wave at people who
> don't drop their own priorities and Follow The Process.

Kevin Benton