[openstack-dev] [all][tripleo] New Project -> Kolla: Deploy and Manage OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 02:29:23 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 07:15 PM, John Griffith wrote:

> [...]
>
>     On 09/23/2014 05:38 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
>>     I'm interested in how this relates/conflicts with the TripleO
>>     goal of using OpenStack to deploy OpenStack.
>>
>>     It looks like (maybe just superficially) that Kubernetes is
>>     simply a combination of (nova + docker driver) = container
>>     schedualer and (heat) = orchestration. They both schedule
>>     containers, will need advanced scheduling like "ensure these two
>>     containers are on different servers (nova ServerGroups),
>>     autoscale resources, hook up things together, have a json
>>     document that describes the desired state, etc... If that's the
>>     case, it seems odd to use an OpenStack competing product to
>>     deploy a competitor of Kubernetes. Two software stacks to learn
>>     how to debug rather then just one.
>>
>     Kevin,
>
>     Thanks for the feedback.
>
>     There are two orthogonal points you address re competitiveness.
>     One is the deployment program (which Kolla intends to be a part
>     of).  The deployment program includes an implementation
>     (tripleo).  TripleO is focused around using OpenStack to deploy
>     OpenStack. Kolla is focused around using Kubernetes to deploy
>     OpenStack.  But they both fit into the same program, and at some
>     point they may even be remerged into both using OpenStack to
>     deploy OpenStack.  Time will tell.
>
>     IMO Kubernetes is not competitive with OpenStack.  The way in
>     which the Kolla project uses them is in fact complimentary.  In a
>     perfect world OpenStack's container service (Magnum) + Heat could
>     be used instead of Kubernetes.  The problem with that approach is
>     the container service for OpenStack is not functional and not
>     integrated into the release.
>
>     It is indeed true that another software stack must be learned.  We
>     hope to abstract most/all of the differences so the actual
>     maintenance difference (ie what must be learned) presents a small
>     learning footprint.
>
>>     Maybe I'm just totally misunderstanding what Kubernetes is trying
>>     to accomplish though. I'm not trying to stur up trouble here. I
>>     just really want to understand how these two technologies fit
>>     together.
>>

>     I don't see you stirring up trouble :) Essentially this project
>     proposes an alternative method for deploying OpenStack (ie not
>     using OpenStack, but using Kubernetes).
>
>     I did run the idea by Robert Collins (current TripleO PTL) first
>     before we got cracking on the code base.  He indicated the
>     approach was worth experimenting with.
>
> So I think it's a cool idea and worth looking at as you have said.
> But I'm very confused by your statements, it seems to me that there's
> a misunderstanding, either in what Triple'O is, or something else
> entirely.
>
> Given that Triple'O stands for Openstack On Openstack I'm not sure how
> you separate the OpenStack piece from the project?  Don't get me
> wrong, I'm certainly not saying one way is better than the other etc.
>  just that the statements here are a bit confusing tome.

John,

There is a deployment program - tripleo is just one implementation. We
went through this with Heat and various projects that want to extend
heat (eg Murano) and one big mistake I think Murano folks made was not
figuring out where there code would go prior to writing it.  I'm only
making a statement as to where I think it should belong.

> Also, it seems REALLY strange that Triple'O hasn't even graduated and
> my limited understanding is that it still has a ways to go and we're
> proposing alternate implementations of it.  Very odd IMO.

Our goal is deploying OpenStack using containers.  TripleO could have
this same goal, but at the present it does not (I could be mistaken
here, please feel free to correct if I am incorrect).  It rather prefers
to deploy on bare metal.  We are just focusing on this particular point,
(openstack in containers on bare metal).  I spoke with Robert for quite
awhile about integration time and we were both in agreement early or
late integration is not a concern for us - getting something working for
containers seemed more compelling.

> That being said, I'd love to see some details on what you have in mind
> here.  I don't necessarily see why it needs to be an "OpenStack
> Project" per-say as opposed to a really cool Open Source Project for
> deploying OpenStack containers (or whatever it is exactly that you
> have in mind).

It doesn't have to necessarily go into the deployment program.  My main
motivation at this point for using stackforge and attaching it to
OpenStack is I desperately want to use the OpenStack workflow since our
workflow rocks!

Regards
-steve