[openstack-dev] [oslo] library projects and milestone management

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Sep 2 14:46:05 UTC 2014

Oslo team,

Thierry and I discussed some changes in how we manage milestones in launchpad during our 1:1 today. We settled on something close to what I think Mark has been doing for oslo.messaging. The idea is to use milestones named “next” in each library, and then rename those milestones when a release is made to use the alpha version number. At the end of the cycle, we will follow the process of the other projects and consolidate those “release candidates” into the final release so all of the features and fixed bugs are visible in one place.

For example, oslo.foo 1.0.0 will accumulate changes in “next” until we are ready to release 1.1.0.0a1. At that point, “next” is renamed to “1.1.0.1a1” (to preserve existing links to blueprints and bugs), all “fix committed” bugs are attached to 1.1.0.0a1 and changed to “fix released”, and a new “next” milestone is created. The same follows for 1.1.0.0a2. When we are ready to prepare the final release, a new “1.1.0” milestone is created and all of the bugs and blueprints associated with the alpha milestones are moved to the new final milestone.

Thierry has proposed creating some scripts to automate this, so I want to make sure everyone is clear on the details and that there are no holes in the plan before we go ahead with that work. Let me know if you have questions or if there’s an issue we need to resolve before setting up all of the existing Oslo projects on launchpad to support this.

Doug