[openstack-dev] [horizon]Blueprint- showing a small message to the user for browser incompatibility

Aggarwal, Nikunj nikunj.aggarwal at hp.com
Tue Oct 14 16:30:13 UTC 2014

Hi Solly,

You are right with your questions about user setting custom UA on their browser. And during my discussion with other Horizon community members on IRC, we decided that Horizon should not care about user setting custom UA on for their browser because it is not our job to identify that and fix. If user is setting custom UA for their browser which means they want that irrespective of the outcome.

Also we discussed about using Modernizr and also implementing graceful degradation but this will work for bigger features like canvas or svg but smaller css feature where it is breaking in older versions of IE like IE <9, will be a huge change and I personally think will be waste of resources and will make the code more complicated.

Instead Horizon guys came to an conclusion that we will identify the browser type and version to deal with legacy browsers like older IE or firefox or any other browser and for other major features we can use feature detection with Modernizr.

We are targeting all major browsers which are listed in this page  - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Horizon/BrowserSupport

And I also think by going with this approach we will minimize the code complexity and also this small feature will greatly improve the UX experience for the end-users.

Thank you for the reply and your views. Also can I put the contents of your reply as a comment into the Blueprint page? Because I think many others will also have same kind of questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikunj