[openstack-dev] [horizon]Blueprint- showing a small message to the user for browser incompatibility

Solly Ross sross at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 16:07:07 UTC 2014

I'm not sure User Agent detection is the best way to go.

Suppose you do UA sniffing and say "show the message unless the UA is one of X".  Then, if there's a browser which fully supports your feature set, but doesn't have a known UA (or someone set a custom UA on their browser), the message will still show, which could be confusing to users.

On the other hand, if you do UA sniffing and say "show the message if the UA is one of X", then a browser that didn't support the features, but didn't have a matching User Agent, wouldn't show the message.

If you go with User Agent sniffing, I'd say the latter way (a blacklist) preferable, since it's probably easier to come up with currently unsupported browsers than it is to predict future browsers.

Have you identified which specific browser features are needed?  You could use Modernizr and then warn if the requisite feature set it not implemented.  This way, you simply check for the feature set required.

Best Regards,
Solly Ross