[openstack-dev] [VMware][nova][cinder]an issue about single point of failure

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:05:23 UTC 2014

Work is underway in cinder to allow active/active HA (or
active/active/active/... for the truly paranoid) volume managers for a
single backend, for remote backends that can support it. This is
likely to take most of the Kilo cycle to finish.

You can use pacemaker or other H/A technology (I suspect some sort of
monitored VM is the VMWare equivalent) to improve the availability of
cinder-volume in the current release.

On 8 October 2014 13:58, LiuJeremy <jeremy-liu at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I have an issue about single point of failure in OpenStack+VMware scenario.
> If one nova-compute or cinder-volume crush. The VCenter which connect to
> the nova-compute or cinder-volume will unavailable.
>
> I think we can deploy the nova-compute/cinder-volume to a VM which have the HA
> (High Available) capacity.
>
> What do you think about the above solution? And could you provide another solution,
> especially in physical deployment scenario (deploy the nova-compute/cinder-volume
> in a physical host)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy Liu

Duncan Thomas