[openstack-dev] [Heat] Order of machines to be terminated during scale down

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 15:10:36 UTC 2014

On 26/11/14 09:13, Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
> Thanks Pavlo.
>
> Is there any reason why FIFO was chosen?

I believe that this was the original termination policy on AWS, and that
was the reason we chose it. It was used on AWS because if you deleted an
instance that was just created you would be charged for a full hour, so
it was cheaper on average to delete an older one. It appears from the
docs[1] that they now do something more sophisticated by default (kill
the one closest to the next billing hour, all else being equal) and also
offer a bunch of different policies.

cheers,
Zane.

[1]