[openstack-dev] [cinder] Anyone Using the Open Solaris ZFS Driver?

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 23:51:34 UTC 2014

On 14:37 Tue 25 Nov     , Drew Fisher wrote:

> On 11/25/14, 12:56 PM, Jay S. Bryant wrote:
> > Monty,
> >
> > I agree that upgrade is not a significant concern right now if the
> > existing driver is not working.
> >
> > Drew,
> >
> > I am having trouble following where you guys are currently at with this
> > work.  I would like to help get you guys up and going during Kilo.
> >
> > I am concerned that maybe there is confusion about the
> > blueprints/patches that we are all talking about here.  I see this
> > Blueprint that was accepted for Juno and appears to have an associated
> > patch merged:  [1]  I also see this Blueprint that doesn't appear to be
> > started yet: [2]  So, can you help me understand what it is you are
> > hoping to get in for Kilo?
>
> OK, so we have two drivers here at Oracle in Solaris.
>
> 1:  A driver for the ZFS storage appliance (zfssa).  That driver was
> integrated into the Icehouse branch and still there in Juno.  That team,
> separate from mine, is working along side of us with the CI requirements
> to keep the driver in Kilo
>
> 2:  The second driver is one for generic ZFS on Solaris.  We have three
> different sub-drivers in one:
>
>     - An iSCSI driver (COMSTAR on top of ZFS)
>     - A FC driver (on top of ZFS)
>     - A simple "local" ZFS driver useful for single-system / devstack /
>       demo rigs.
>
> The local driver simply creates ZVOLs for Zones to use on the local
> system.  It's not designed with any kind of migration abilities unlike
> iSCSI or FC.
>

> > I know that you have been concerned about CI.  For new drivers we are
> > allowing some grace period to get things working.  Once we get the
> > confusion over blueprints worked out and have some code to start
> > reviewing we can continue to discuss that issue.
>
> My plan is to discuss this plan with my team next week after the
> holiday.  Once we get something in place on our side, we'll try to get a
> blueprint submitted ASAP for review.
>
> Sound good?

Hi Drew,

We're not accepting anymore drivers for the Kilo release. This was from
a discussion that started back in September and mentioned on the mailing list
a couple of times [1][2], multiple Cinder meetings [3][4], and the last design
summit. The one driver we have from Oracle is a ZFS NFS [5] driver that was
registered before the deadline.

If you could verify with your team if they plan to fix the existing Solaris
ISCSI driver [5], or can we remove it?

[1] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/044990.html
[2] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-October/049512.html
[3] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2014/cinder.2014-09-03-16.01.log.html