[openstack-dev] [cinder] Cinder plans for kilo: attention new driver authors!

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 07:03:34 UTC 2014

On 19:41 Thu 04 Sep     , Duncan Thomas wrote:
> Hi
>
> during this week's cinder weekly meeting [1], we discussed plans for
> Kilo, a discussion that started at the mid-cycle meetup [2]. The
> outcome is that we (the cinder core team and extended community) want
> to focus on stability and code clean-up in the Kilo release, and
> paying off some of the technical debt we've built up over the past
> couple of years [3]. In order to facilitate this, for the Kilo cycle:
>
> 1. New drivers must be submitted before K1 in order to be considered.
> Any driver submitted after this date will be deferred until the L
> cycle. We encourage submitters to get in early, even if you make K1
> there is no guarantee of getting enough reviewer attention to get
> merged.
>
> 2. New features are limited and ideally merged by K2.
>
> 3. K3 is dedicated to stability and bug fixing. (Much of this work
> will happen before K3, but K3 is dedicated to testing and reviewing of
> it, in preference to anything else. Any driver enhancements required
> to support pre-existing features will also be considered, but please
> get them in as early as possible).
>
> 4. PoC required before the summit, for any summit session related to
> new features.
>
> 5. There will be a continuing drive for 3rd party CI of every driver
> in cinder during the Kilo cycle.
>

> I'll repost these guidelines and any follow-up clarifications shortly
> before the summit. Comments / feedback welcome.
>
> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2014/cinder.2014-09-03-16.01.log.html
>
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cinder-meetup-summer-2014
>
> [3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/cinder-kilo-stabilisation-work

Just reiterating points here. From the September 23rd Cinder meeting [1], and
verified in the Oct 29th Cinder meeting [2], the community has agreed that new
drivers must be submitted *before* K-1 ends.

K-1 is expected to end on 12/18, according to the launchpad page [3].

Submitted and qualified for merge means:
* Your blueprint for your driver was submitted and approved before 11/15.
* Your driver code is posted to gerrit.
* Your driver passes the cert test and the results are posted. [4]
* Your driver fulfills minimum features. [5]
* You have spoken to Duncan (DuncanT- on #openstack-cinder) about your third
  party ci. [6]

To be clear:
* Your driver submission must meet *all* the items before the end of k-1.
* If your driver is submitted *LATE* in k-1, and meets *all* the items above,
  but isn't merged, it will be still be considered for merge in k-2 or k-3.
  However, expect low priority in reviews and not guaranteed for merge in Kilo.
* If your driver is submitted after k-1, expect me to reference this email and
  will request the driver to be submitted in the L release.
* This does not include backup drivers.

And yes, the Cinder wiki will be updated with this information.

[1] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2014/cinder.2014-09-03-16.01.log.html
[2] - http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2014/cinder.2014-10-29-16.00.log.html
[3] - https://launchpad.net/cinder/+milestone/kilo-1
[4] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/tested-3rdParty-drivers