[openstack-dev] [tc][rally][qa] Application for a new OpenStack Program: Performance and Scalability

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Tue Jul 22 20:38:15 UTC 2014

Sean, David

So seems like I am better in writing code then english, sorry for that=)

Let me try to explain my position and try to make this situation clear.

We have the great program "QA" that helps to keep OpenStack working
(automation of testing, unit/function/integration tests, log analyze,
elastic recheck, dsvm jobs and so on).
I really appreciate what you guys are doing, and thank you for that!

But the scope of what Rally team is working on is quite different.
It's more about Operations cases e.g. making it simple to understand what
is happening inside
production OpenStack clouds (especially under load). To do that, it's not
enough just to write tools
(like Rally), it requires extending OpenStack API, to make it simple to
retrieve via OpenStack API audit information (profiling data - OSprofiler,
querying logs - LogaaS, configuration discovery - Satori), which is really
out of scope of QA (it should be done inside OpenStack projects, not on top
of them).

And to coordinate this job we should have Program "Operations" for that.

The reason why this program is called "Performance & Scalability" and not
"Operations" is that current Rally team scope is "Performance &
Scalability". But as I see Rally team really would like to extend it's
scope to "Operations". So "Performance & Scalability" should be the first
piece of big "Operation" program (that includes such projects like: rally,
osprofiler, logaas, satori, rubick and probably some others)

So let's move to the Operation program with "baby steps".

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic