[openstack-dev] [tc][rally][qa] Application for a new OpenStack Program: Performance and Scalability

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hp.com
Sun Jul 27 00:51:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 12:18 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/22/2014 11:58 AM, David Kranz wrote:
> > On 07/22/2014 10:44 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> >> Honestly, I'm really not sure I see this as a different program, but is
> >> really something that should be folded into the QA program. I feel like
> >> a top level effort like this is going to lead to a lot of duplication in
> >> the data analysis that's currently going on, as well as functionality
> >> for better load driver UX.
> >>
> >> 	-Sean
> > +1
> > It will also lead to pointless discussions/arguments about which
> > activities are part of "QA" and which are part of
> > "Performance and Scalability Testing".

I think that those discussions will still take place, it will just be on
a per repository basis, instead of a per program one.

[snip]

> Right, 100% agreed. Rally would remain with it's own repo + review team,
> just like grenade.
>
> 	-Sean

Is the concept of a separate review team not the point of a program?

In the the thread from Designate's Incubation request Thierry said [1]:

> "Programs" just let us bless goals and teams and let them organize
> code however they want, with contribution to any code repo under that
> umbrella being considered "official" and ATC-status-granting.

I do think that this is something that needs to be clarified by the TC -
Rally could not get a PTL if they were part of the QA project, but every
time we get a program request, the same discussion happens.

I think that mission statements can be edited to fit new programs as
they occur, and that it is more important to let teams that have been
working closely together to stay as a distinct group.

Graham

1 -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-May/036213.html