[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Jan 15 16:22:34 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-15 07:05, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 15/01/14 07:44 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>        I don't see a problem with doing that, but I'm not clear on
>> where we're
>>        including the hash.  In the file itself, in a separate file,
>> and/or in
>>        the
>>        commit message?
>>
>>        Even if we do no more automation, having the commit hash of the
>> last
>>        sync would
>>        be immensely helpful.  Not having to comb through commit logs
>> to figure
>>        out
>>        when the last sync happened would be fantastic. :-)
>>

>>    We should keep it in the openstack-modules.conf file and put it in
>> the
>>    commit message as well. IMHO.
>>

>> I was thinking the commit message, but if you see usefulness in
>> including the
>> conf file, we could do that, too.
>
> As for now, the use I can think of is to know what was the last
> oslo-incubator commit that was synced. We could get the same info by
> using git log and copying the commit but it's easier to check that
> file. (Pretty much like submodules do).
>
> And if we ever need to do something with that, it'll be easier to get
> the sha from the config file. This argument violates YAGNI, though...
> :D

To me, not having to search the target project's git log to find the
last sync is enough need to justify it.  Storing the last sync hash
shouldn't be a significant amount of work if we're already going to be
putting it in the commit hash, and if it makes syncs a little easier
then I think it's absolutely worth it.

-Ben