[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Wed Jan 15 18:53:22 UTC 2014

Here's the process I use to review a oslo-incubator merge... since I'm
mostly reviewing keystone I'm going to use that as the project.

1) Make sure keystone master is at the latest, and that oslo-incubator is
at the right level (the commit hash if they mentioned it or latest)
2) run update.py in oslo-incubator, make sure that there's changes in
keystone (maybe we have it already from a different review)
3) revert changes in keystone and check out the review with git-review -d
4) run update.py again and make sure there's no changes in keystone -- If
there's changes then I -1 the review, since I can't verify it was done
correctly.
5) Then I go through the review and look for problems... changes that
aren't backwards compatible, new config options for the sample config file,
etc.

At no point do I care what are the different commits that are being brought
in from oslo-incubator. If the commits are listed in the commit message
then I feel an obligation to verify that they got the right commits in the
message and that takes extra time for no gain.

So I would prefer it if the message for syncs from oslo-incubator included
the commit hash and did not include a list of changes.

If generating the list of changes was automated then I'd add a step to my
process to verify the commit message was the same.

- Brant