[openstack-dev] [oslo] need input on new config option for logging translations

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue Jan 14 13:59:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Luis A. Garcia <luis at linux.vnet.ibm.com>wrote:

> On 1/13/2014 1:47 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> There's a review in Oslo to provide a configuration option to turn on
>> the ability to log in a second language by specifying the locale
>> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62508/).
>>
>> Given the recent discussion of adding more configuration options, I
>> wanted to see what people thought about providing this feature only to
>> deployers using the external logging configuration file, instead of
>> oslo.config.
>>
>> My idea is to provide a sample config file, so that a deployer would
>> only have to fill in their locale, and then use the existing option to
>> specify that logging configuration file to override the built-in logging
>> behavior.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Currently most log configuration options can be done from the
> corresponding project.conf files [1] in addition to the logging.conf file.
> In fact I think the project.conf might be a super set of logging features,
> because there are some log config options that I would not know how to do
> from the logging.conf file, e.g. instance_uuid_format.

All of the general purpose logging configuration can be accomplished via
the logging.conf file. The format options for instance and instance uuid
control the ContextAdapter, and I'm not sure if those can be specified in
logging.conf or not.

I agree that we should ensure logging.conf can be used to configure
everything, and we can work on that during the next cycle.

I think the reason for this is simply user convenience. It's easier for the
> user to just set one of those log properties from the project.conf, and the
> "heavy lifting" such the creation of specific: Logger, LogHandler,
> LogFormatter, LogAdapters, etc. is done behind the scenes. For that reason
> I think having this option is useful for our users so they can use the new
> log feature we implemented.

It is more convenient for the user if we make them start from scratch,
which is why I proposed that we deliver a sample configuration file
specifically for this feature.

My main concern with adding another option is that I don't know how many
deployers will really want to log in more than one language at a time.
Those deployers who do want it may want more control over where those logs
are written than the simple option proposed will give them, too. The
logging.conf file gives them complete control for advanced configurations,
and a sample file gives them an easy way to turn on simple file logging in
multiple languages.

Doug