[openstack-dev] [oslo] need input on new config option for logging translations

Luis A. Garcia luis at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jan 13 22:43:42 UTC 2014

On 1/13/2014 1:47 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> There's a review in Oslo to provide a configuration option to turn on
> the ability to log in a second language by specifying the locale
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/62508/).
>
> Given the recent discussion of adding more configuration options, I
> wanted to see what people thought about providing this feature only to
> deployers using the external logging configuration file, instead of
> oslo.config.
>
> My idea is to provide a sample config file, so that a deployer would
> only have to fill in their locale, and then use the existing option to
> specify that logging configuration file to override the built-in logging
> behavior.
>
> What do you think?

Currently most log configuration options can be done from the
corresponding project.conf files [1] in addition to the logging.conf
file. In fact I think the project.conf might be a super set of logging
features, because there are some log config options that I would not
know how to do from the logging.conf file, e.g. instance_uuid_format.

I think the reason for this is simply user convenience. It's easier for
the user to just set one of those log properties from the project.conf,
and the "heavy lifting" such the creation of specific: Logger,
LogHandler, LogFormatter, LogAdapters, etc. is done behind the scenes.
For that reason I think having this option is useful for our users so
they can use the new log feature we implemented.

About the idea of providing a sample logging.conf, I think most projects
already do that, they ship a sample logging conf. I can add the
TranslationLogHandler sample there too.

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content//configuring-logging.html

Thank you,

--
Luis A. García
Cloud Solutions & OpenStack Development

                                         - Albert Einstein

"Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get
your thinking clean to make it simple."
                                         – Steve Jobs