[openstack-dev] Meeting time congestion

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 14 11:41:27 UTC 2014

I think that in case of adding additional meeting rooms, we'll need to
avoid disparity between them in names. For example, currently we have a lot
of folks in #os-meeting and not so many in #os-meeting-alt, if we'll have
#os-meeting-alt-2 then we'll have even less folks there and it'll be the
same like making meeting in project channel.

So, probably it'll be better to have meeting rooms named
#openstack-meeting-1(or -a?) and etc. and round robin meetings between this
channels.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Matthias Runge wrote:
> > On 01/13/2014 09:33 PM, Lyle, David wrote:
> >> With all the warranted meeting time shuffling that has been happening
> >> recently, and the addition of so many projects and sub-teams, the
> >> meeting calendar for #openstack-meeting and #openstack-meeting-alt
> >> [1] is relatively full.  So recently, when trying to move the Horizon
> >> meeting time, the poll determined slot is unavailable.
> >>
> >> Should we run logged meetings from individual team rooms like
> >> #openstack-horizon?  The advantage is it's available. The downside is
> >> that less people from other team linger in #openstack-horizon than
> >> #openstack-meeting.
> >>
> >> Should another meeting room be added?  This solution only scales so
> >> far.
> > Yes, if we have anything in masses, then it should be meeting rooms on
> IRC.
> >
> > The only issue I could see here is: if folks want to participate, and
> > meetings times overlap, they will have divide their attention.
>
> Yes, that's actually the main reason why we try to stick with meeting
> channels and add more of them only when congestion happens: to encourage
> spreading the meetings, and avoiding double-booking people on a few
> "best" slots.
>
> The other benefit of sticking to meeting channels (vs. using team
> channels for meetings) is that it's easier to lurk on a few channels to
> get highlights during meetings, than to try to find all channels where
> meetings may happen (and keep the list current).
>
> So the trick is the balance between encouraging spreading meetings and
> starting to be a pain :) Meeting slots between 14:00 and 21:00 UTC are
> pretty busy from Tuesday to Thursday. So it might indeed be the time to
> add a new meeting room.
>
> #openstack-meeting-alt2 ? or is it also time to find a naming scheme for
> our meeting rooms ?
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Sincerely yours,