[openstack-dev] Meeting time congestion

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jan 14 09:58:45 UTC 2014

Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 09:33 PM, Lyle, David wrote:
>> With all the warranted meeting time shuffling that has been happening
>> recently, and the addition of so many projects and sub-teams, the
>> meeting calendar for #openstack-meeting and #openstack-meeting-alt
>> [1] is relatively full.  So recently, when trying to move the Horizon
>> meeting time, the poll determined slot is unavailable.
>>
>> Should we run logged meetings from individual team rooms like
>> #openstack-horizon?  The advantage is it's available. The downside is
>> that less people from other team linger in #openstack-horizon than
>> #openstack-meeting.
>>
>> Should another meeting room be added?  This solution only scales so
>> far.
> Yes, if we have anything in masses, then it should be meeting rooms on IRC.
>
> The only issue I could see here is: if folks want to participate, and
> meetings times overlap, they will have divide their attention.

Yes, that's actually the main reason why we try to stick with meeting
channels and add more of them only when congestion happens: to encourage
spreading the meetings, and avoiding double-booking people on a few
"best" slots.

The other benefit of sticking to meeting channels (vs. using team
channels for meetings) is that it's easier to lurk on a few channels to
get highlights during meetings, than to try to find all channels where
meetings may happen (and keep the list current).

So the trick is the balance between encouraging spreading meetings and
starting to be a pain :) Meeting slots between 14:00 and 21:00 UTC are
pretty busy from Tuesday to Thursday. So it might indeed be the time to
add a new meeting room.

#openstack-meeting-alt2 ? or is it also time to find a naming scheme for
our meeting rooms ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)