[openstack-dev] [oslo] Common SSH

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Jan 10 18:21:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Sergey Skripnick
<sskripnick at mirantis.com>wrote:

>  I appreciate that we want to fix the ssh client. I'm not certain that
>> writing our own is the best >answer.
>>

> I was supposed to fix oslo.processutils.ssh with this class, but it may
> be fixed without it, not big deal.
>

>> In his comments on your pull request, the paramiko author recommended
>> looking at Fabric. I know that >Fabric has a long history in production.
>> Does it provide the required features?
>>

> Fabric is too much for just command execution on remote server. Spur seems
> like
> good choice for this.

> But I still don't understand: why do we need oslo.processutils.execute? We
> can use
> subprocess module. Why do we need oslo.processutils.ssh_execute? We can
> use paramiko
> instead.

Well, as you've shown, having a wrapper around subprocess to deal with the
I/O properly is useful, especially commands that produce a lot of it. :-)

As far as ssh_execute goes, I don't know the origin but I imagine the
author didn't know about paramiko.

Doug