[openstack-dev] [DevStack] A grenade for DevStack?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Dec 15 20:03:41 UTC 2014

On 12/15/2014 02:33 PM, Collins, Sean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been bitten by a couple bugs lately on DevStack installs that have
> been long lived. One is a built by Vagrant, and the other is bare metal
> hardware.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1395776
>
> In this instance, a commit was made to rollback the introduction of
> MariaDB in ubuntu, but it does not appear that there was anything done
> to revert the change in existing deployments, so I had to go and fix by
> hand on the bare metal lab because I didn't want to waste a lot of time
> rebuilding the whole lab from scratch just to fix.
>
> I also got bit by this on my Vagrant node, but I nuked and paved to fix.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1402762
>
> It'd be great to somehow make a long lived dsvm node and job where
> DevStack is continually deployed to it and restacked, to check for these
> kinds of errors?

One of the things we don't test on the devstack side at all is that
clean.sh takes us back down to baseline, which I think was the real
issue here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141891/

I would not be opposed to adding cleanup testing at the end of any
devstack run that ensures everything is shut down correctly and cleaned
up to a base level.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague