[openstack-dev] [DevStack] A grenade for DevStack?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 01:32:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 12/15/2014 02:33 PM, Collins, Sean wrote:
> > It'd be great to somehow make a long lived dsvm node and job where
> > DevStack is continually deployed to it and restacked, to check for these
> > kinds of errors?

I want to be careful here to not let an expectation develop that DevStack
should be used in any long-running deployment.  Refreshing a VM or a new OS
install on bare metal should be expected, often. IMO the only bits that you
should expect to refresh quickly are the git repos.

> One of the things we don't test on the devstack side at all is that
> clean.sh takes us back down to baseline, which I think was the real
> issue here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141891/
>
> I would not be opposed to adding cleanup testing at the end of any
> devstack run that ensures everything is shut down correctly and cleaned
> up to a base level.

clean.sh makes an attempt to remove enough of OpenStack and its
dependencies to be able to change the configuration, such as switching
databases or adding/removing services, and re-run stack.sh.  I'm not a fan
of tracking installed OS package dependencies and Python packages so it can
all be undone. But the above is a bug...

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com