[openstack-dev] [NFV][Telco] pxe-boot

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 08:54:07 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Pasquale Porreca" <pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>
> Well, one of the main reason to choose an open source product is to
> avoid vendor lock-in. I think it is not
>
> advisable to embed in the software running in an instance a call to
> OpenStack specific services.

Possibly a stupid question, but even if PXE boot was supported would the SC not still have to trigger the creation of the PL instance(s) via a call to Nova anyway (albeit with boot media coming from PXE instead of Glance)?

-Steve

> On 12/10/14 00:20, Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Pasquale Porreca <
> pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au > wrote:
>

> The use case we were thinking about is a Network Function (e.g. IMS
> Nodes) implementation in which the high availability is based on
> OpenSAF. In this scenario there is an Active/Standby cluster of 2
> System Controllers (SC) plus several Payloads (PL) that boot from
> network, controlled by the SC. The logic of which service to deploy
> on each payload is inside the SC.
>
> In OpenStack both SCs and PLs will be instances running in the cloud,
> anyway the PLs should still boot from network under the control of
> the SC. In fact to use Glance to store the image for the PLs and
> keep the control of the PLs in the SC, the SC should trigger the
> boot of the PLs with requests to Nova/Glance, but an application
> running inside an instance should not directly interact with a cloud
> infrastructure service like Glance or Nova.
>
> Why not? This is a fairly common practice.
> --
> Pasquale Porreca
>
> DEK Technologies
> Via dei Castelli Romani, 22
> 00040 Pomezia (Roma)
>
> Mobile +39 3394823805
> Skype paskporr

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform