[openstack-dev] [NFV][Telco] pxe-boot

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:40:03 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 1:48 AM, Pasquale Porreca <
pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au> wrote:

> From my point of view it is not advisable to base some functionalities
> of the instances on direct calls to Openstack API. This for 2 main
> reasons, the first one: if the Openstack code changes (and we know
> Openstack code does change) it will be required to change the code of
> the software running in the instance too; the second one: if in the
> future one wants to pass to another cloud infrastructure it will be more
> difficult to achieve it.

Thoughts on your two reasons:

1) What happens if OpenStack code changes?

While OpenStack is under very active development we have stable APIs,
especially around something like booting an instance. So the API call to
boot an instance with a specific image *should not* change as you upgrade
OpenStack (unless we deprecate an API, but this will be a slow multi year
process).

2) "if in the future one wants to pass to another cloud infrastructure it
will be more difficult to achieve it."

Why not use something like apache jcloud to make this easier?
https://jclouds.apache.org/