[openstack-dev] blueprint for 'spare-hosts'

Matthew Sherborne msherborne at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 01:02:58 UTC 2013

Hi Phil et al,

Thanks for the great feedback.

I can see the 'reason for disabled' patch as a usable work around. I'm sad
that it's a hassle to get the patch in, but I'm glad to see I'm not the
only one that happens to. I'm still getting used to the openstack commit
process. It's a lot more political than I've ever seen before, but it is
producing high quality code for sure.

The availability_zone scheduler filter also looks useful as a replacement.

The only concern I have if we were to use those, would be the race
condition, where a migration starts towards the host, then you set it to
disabled. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I can imagine a sysadmin
setting it a host to spare and walking away, then later using it for a
chassis swap, then some customer saying, 'dude! mybigsite.com is down'.

I'll investigate the possibility of the race condition happening, but if
anyone already knows the answer, you could save me some work ;)

Many Thanks,
Matthew Sherborne